In exercise of the powers conferred by sub-section (1) and clause (v) of sub-section (2) of section 3 of the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986, read with clause (d) of sub-rule (3) of rule 5 of the Environment (Protection) Rules, 1986 and in supersession of the notification number S.O. 60 (E) dated the 27th January, 1994, except in respect of things done or omitted to be done before such supersession, the Central Government directed that on and from the date of its publication the required construction of new projects oractivities or the expansion or modernization of existing projects or activities listed in the Schedule to this notification entailing capacity addition with change in process and or technology shall be undertaken in any part of India only after the prior environmental clearance from the Central Government or as the case may be, by the State Level Environment Impact Assessment Authority, duly constituted by the Central Government under sub-section (3) of section 3 of the said Act, in accordance with the procedure specified in the notification number S.O. 1533 (E) Date 14th September 2006.
- State Level Environment Impact Assessment Authority:- A State Level Environment Impact Assessment Authority (SEIAA) shall be constituted by the Central Government under sub-section (3) of section 3 of the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986 comprising of three Members including a Chairman and a Member – Secretary to be nominated by the State Government or the Union territory Administration concerned.
- The Member-Secretary shall be a serving officer of the concerned State Government or Union territory administration familiar with environmental laws.
- The Chairman shall be an expert in terms of the eligibility criteria given in APPENDIX VI to the notification S.O. 1533 (E), dated 14th September 2006 in one of the specified fields, with sufficient experience in environmental policy or management.
- The other member shall be an expert fulfilling the eligibility criteria given in APPENDIX VI to the notification S.O. 1533(E), dated 14th September 2006 in one of the specified fields.
- The State Government or Union territory Administration shall forward the names of the Members and the Chairman referred in sub- paragraph 3 to 4 above to the Central Government and the Central Government shall constitute the State Level Environment Impact Assessment Authority as an authority for the purposes of this notification within thirty days of the date of receipt of the names.
- The non-official Member and the Chairman shall have a fixed term of three years (from the date of the publication of the notification by the Central Government constituting the authority).
- All decisions of the SEIAA shall be taken in a meeting and shall ordinarily be unanimous.
Provided that, in case a decision is taken by majority, the details of views, for and against it, shall be clearly recorded in the minutes and a copy thereof sent to MoEF.
The notification regarding constituton of State Level Environment Impact Assessment Authority (SEIAA), Chhattisgarh is as below.